Bluemont Sticker by Greg Culver and Hot wing Designs.
Printed on durable outdoor vinyl. Designed, printed and packaged in Springville, NY.
3.5″ x 2.75″
In 1959 a small ski area named Blue Mountain, was created just east of Springville off of route 39 in the hills of Yorkshire NY using a bulldozer to clear the trails. The area contained 800 feet of vertical drop with 8 trails. The longest trail was 6,600 feet. Blue Mountain also had 2 rope tow lifts, a surface T-bar lift, and from 1959-62 an unconventional, side loading, detachable chair lift., developed to help keep guests warm against the onslaught of the lake effect snow bands coming off from lake Erie. For amenities, the area had a ski school, ski patrol, rentals and a full base lodge containing a bar, restaurant, and conventional cafeteria. Also unlike most ski areas at the time, limited snowmaking was available.
In 1962, due to the unsafe nature of the unconventional side-loading chair, where the detachable grips kept coming loose making some chairs come of the cable, Blue mountain closed. Fortunately there were no major injuries or accidents due to the unsafe chair lift.
In 1968 the area reopened with a new name of Bluemont and a new fixed grip, front loading chair to replace the unsafe side loading chair. Bluemont then operated through 1979 and was still owned by the same family that started it in 1959. The family then closed it due to lack of funds and interest, as well as lack of snow and ever-changing weather patterns.
Bluemont remained closed for a couple of years until a Canadian company purchased the area in 1980. Kingbrook, the new owners were focused on turning the once public ski area, into a private all season resort, including time share condos and a golf course at the base of the lifts. King brook began acquiring land for expansion and tried to update the area throughout the years while never turning the lifts for profit. Unfortunately Kingbrook kept looking for continued local and public involvement and investment for a private area, and never received enough capital to get their idea off the ground. Eventually they ran into more problems especially with efficient snowmaking and Kingbrook went under.
Currently Kingbrook’s parent company of Cornerstone, out of Colorado owns the original ski area including the acquired land and is selling the 11,000 acres for around 9 million dollars. Many of the trails are still visible but are quite overgrown. All or most of the buildings are still standing, including the ski school building, safety patrol building, the main base lodge including bar, restaurant, rental area, and maintenance buildings. Also still standing is the main bull wheel at the base of the hill and tower base supports.